29 Oct Can CBD help manage anxiety?
There’s nothing quite as scary this spooky season as the overwhelming feeling of anxiety. With an estimated 19% of American’s suffering with anxiety (1), it is important to try and find natural ways to combat the issue. Living with anxiety can be debilitating and have a knock-on effect to lots of areas in your life, finding ways to control the disorder will allow you to live happier and healthier.
Table of Contents
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is the mind and body’s reaction to stressful, dangerous, or unfamiliar situations. It’s the sense of uneasiness, distress, or dread you feel before a significant event (2).
Being anxious at times is completely normal and often helps us to stay alert in situations where necessary. However, for those suffering with an anxiety disorder, it can completely control their life.
There are several types of anxiety-related disorders (3):
- Generalized Anxiety disorder – characterized by a general feature of excessive fear or anxiety.
- Social Anxiety Disorder – characterized by a constant feeling of nervousness, self-consciousness, or embarrassment in fear of being judged by others.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders – characterized by obsessive, intrusive thoughts that trigger compulsive behaviors.
- Trauma related disorders – related to trauma or stress from a specific incident such as PTSD.
- Panic Disorder – characterized by frequent feelings of panic or terror when there is no real danger near.
You might feel anxious about everyday situations that you feel are scary, things such as starting a new job, moving house or relationship issues. Although in some instances this can be beneficial, if this anxiety becomes long term or intense, it can have a direct effect on how on how you live your life.
Anxiety can stop you from doing the small things, such as making a phone call to the dentists or ordering your own food at a restaurant, which might lead on to the bigger things, an inability to go outside or get out of bed daily. This can lead to feelings of depression.
With the price of ongoing healthcare and medication being difficult to upkeep, individuals have been searching for alternative medicines and natural remedies to alleviate some of the negative feelings they are struggling with. This is where CBD comes into the picture.
What is CBD?
Cannabis has been used for thousands of years as a natural pain remedy and sleep aid. In recent years it has been used for a magnitude of ailments. Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of about 140 cannabinoids found in the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa). It is the main active ingredient in hemp-based products, including CBD oils, edibles, balms, capsules, skincare and vapes.
Naturecan CBD is broad spectrum CBD, derived from hemp, with less than 0.01% THC. The CBD works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which you can learn more about here. This means you get all the benefits, without the unwanted ‘high’.
Can CBD help with anxiety?
For those who suffer with anxiety on any level, CBD can work with your ECS to help restore the balance in your body. This can help to calm the feelings of threat, unsettled alertness, and other psychological and physiological effects. CBD is thought to ease anxiety by helping the body process serotonin, and in turn, regulating emotions.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that CBD reduces stress, as well as behavioral and physiological symptoms of anxiety, such as heart rate, in rats (4). Recent studies have found that CBD can reduce anxiety in humans with social anxiety disorder (5) and PTSD (6).
Will CBD work for you?
The way in which the CBD will affect you will depend on the strength you take, the products you choose and the severity of your anxiety.
It is important to remember that CBD will work different for everyone but monitoring your use and being consistent will allow you to get the best results. Why not check out our article about the Releaf app here. This app allows you to track your symptoms, CBD dosage and whether you feel like it’s working for you. You can also learn from others and help us make our products better in the long run.
Although there is more researched needed, some studies have shown a positive relationship between CBD and reducing anxiety. It is also a very natural and healthy alternative to prescribed or over the counter drugs. CBD has numerous other benefits and may help combat more than just anxiety issues.
- NIMH » Any Anxiety Disorder
- Anxiety » What Is Anxiety? Signs, Causes, Symptoms
- Does CBD Help With Anxiety? – Pros and Cons (2021)
- The Biology and Potential Therapeutic Effects of Cannabidiol
- Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: a preliminary report
- Cannabidiol as a Therapeutic Alternative for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: From Bench Research to Confirmation in Human Trials
It’s Naturecan’s 3rd birthday! In celebratio29 October, 2021
Looking for a new way to take CBD? Why not try our24 January, 2022
With years of experience in the beauty industry, o29 October, 2021
- CBD oil and fibromyalgia: What does the research say? - June 20, 2022
- How long does CBD oil last? Does CBD oil expire? - June 16, 2022
- Does CBD Make You “High”? How Does it Make You Feel? - June 16, 2022